Sunday, May 17, 2015

Event #2: LACMA

Security Guard and I on a sunny Friday at LACMA
Friday May 15th I attended LACMA. Coincidentally admission was free today for students so that was a nice bonus after bringing along two of my friends on this day adventure. I had never been inside of LACMA I have just stopped by the famous lamp post outside it to take some pictures. Not knowing what to expect when I entered the museum I did not known which level and exhibit to wonder into first. I ended up walking to Level 3 and entered the Art of China and Korea. I ran into this floating arch or what looked like a resemblance of architecture in Asia. This section was filled with Asian culture and the details and tradition that are engraved in a lot of their artwork is fascinating. The Los Angles County Museum of Art's collection of Korean art is one of the largest in the US and is a special representation that reflects the Korean population and culture. This monument reflects the art that is portrayed in Asian architecture. 

It is the 50th anniversary celebrating LACMA and while wandering the museum I found a little room that recognized all the Lens Work Celebrating LACMA's photography over the 50 years. This represents the technology based practice that is involved with art. It has been developing over the years and the collection presented are examples of the photographic practice that takes place. Technology these days is such a big part of art and the impact is has progressively made over the years is remarkable. I loved reading this excerpt on the wall because the last part says photographs will inspire new ways of perceiving, seeing and believing. I believe that this is prominent in what we have learned so far and in all aspects of life. Art is something that we see everyday. It is seen through a different pair of eyes for all people. The way we perceive, believe and see artwork is impacted heavily and inspired through experimental photography and technology.

As we walked into African textiles and Adornment we were not allowed to take photos but found our way to the Art of the America's Building and came across the collection called Faces of America. I really enjoyed looking around this building because there were so many unique and detailed and historical paintings, monuments, sculptures, pieces of furniture and so on. This particular photo was an oil painting which were all over the the museum. What amazes me most about oil paintings is the layering and time commitment that comes along with them. LACMA is filled with numerous different objects and that is one thing I was not expecting. I enjoyed how the artwork was divided and organized by regions of the world. This kept it organized and allowed the viewer while observing to really connect with the culture.


No comments:

Post a Comment