Saturday, May 16, 2015

Event #1: Fowler Museum at UCLA


Thursday I headed over to my first event at the Fowler Museum located on campus. It was my second time visiting Fowler and enjoyed how some of the exhibits changed. The first room I explored was The Reflecting Culture/Collection of Silver. This picture is a display called A Gift of Silver. While looking at this collection it made me think about how it relates to what we have learned in class. Silver has been collected for years and considered supreme art and considered English fashion at the dining table. The excerpt next to the display explains that a gift of silver imparts a sense of distinction and permanence to an occasion and a relationship and it is especially appropriate as a symbol of friendship, love or respect. This exhibits portrays how silver and a piece of decoration or a gift of silver that can be displayed in your home is considered art an has been valuable over the years and has been used in such diverse ways.  



















In the Making Strange exhibit by Vivan Sundaram there were many different mannequins dressed in unique clothes made out of medical supplies. Sundaram is one of the leading artists in India today and his collection was comprised of garments and outfits made from surgical masks, x-ray film, bandages and other medical supplies. This exhibit parallels week 4 somewhat with the talk about medicine and art. Sundram created his own piece of artwork and made a line of strange "haute couture" he called it with inventive hospital and medicine materials as the garments. He saw something creative and made this contemporary artwork that is displayed in Fowler for others to interpret their own perspective on his relationship of medical pieces and fashion. This shows the merging of two different areas into one piece of artwork. This photo below looks an entire outfit made out of orthopedic gear. It seems like a sling material fabric was created into a hat, shoes, and shirt to top.
Pinafore 2011 lycra orthopedic supports


Unfortunately, when I asked to take a photo with the of the workers I got denied twice. So instead I asked what I could do for proof of attendance and the lady at front desk stamped my hand which is displayed below. I enjoyed my time at the Fowler and it was nice to connect what I have learned from class so far and relate it to the art collections presented at Fowler Museum. I recommend for my classmates to take a look inside this historic and remarkable museum. It is just another outstanding building that our school has to offer to its students. There is so much to learn about inside and it can serve as a nice activity in your day to explore new artistic cultures displayed by talented artists. 


No comments:

Post a Comment